Our Overall Approach
At Rallim Modern Learning Environment, we aim to cultivate a keen intellect, a sense of curiosity and wonder, a rigorous attitude and an insatiable passion for learning. We believe in deepening students’ engagement with learning in order that it remains relevant in an ever-evolving educational landscape.
We follow the Reggio Emilia-inspired approach which values the child as strong, capable, resilient and rich with wonder and knowledge. Our flexible learning spaces are filled with natural light and glass with an indoor exploratory learning hub.
At Rallim, we aim to achieve the explicit outcomes of the national curriculum by acknowledging the unique competencies and capacities of children through an engaging programme whereby we honour a broad range of learning styles and in which we nurture a keen intellect, a sense of curiosity and wonder, and a passion for learning. We believe in the potential or the unrealised ability of every child. We actively embrace the idea of each individual having a growth mindset and that a student simply has not mastered a particular concept or skill… yet.
Our framework for learning, Redesigning Education for the Future (REF21), is explicitly embedded within our curriculum design and mapping processes. It is thoughtfully developed in line with an enhanced national curriculum employing strategies of customised and innovative learning methods as well as a willingness to transcend traditional academic boundaries thereby creating deeper learning experiences and individualised pathways to success for the students. It is an interest-driven framework which is interdisciplinary in composition with a targeted focus on 21st Century skills.
Our guiding principle when deciding on our framework for learning was the following simple question: What is learning and how do we do it… for the future? We answered this by defining three kinds of learning: Competencies, values and skills (CVS) which form the DNA of our learning ecosystem.
The competencies are those as prescribed by the national curriculum and include the requisite content and skills necessary for progression between the different phases as stipulated by the Department of Education. In terms of the development of character, at the centre of our value-bases is the uniqueness of every child and we see quality education as a basic right. Furthermore, our core values at Rallim underpin the hidden curriculum and inform all of our endeavours. Finally, the development of 21st Century skills includes those vital soft skills which are inherent in our approach and methodology:
- Critical thinking, creativity and problem solving;
- Communication and collaboration;
- Global mindedness;
- Leadership and responsibility.
Students in the Preparatory Faculty learn through a multi-disciplinary and integrated approach which includes:
- Master classes with subject specific expertise, ability groups and facilitators;
- The Socratic approach to teaching and learning incorporating an inquiry led focus which emphasises discovery and research as well as experiential learning through design and construction;
- The embodied learning approach with multi-modal, kinaesthetic and collaborative learning;
- An advanced technology blended teaching and learning environment utilising compulsory coding and games-based approaches;
- A customized, student centred environment with individualised timetables according to a student’s cognitive development (e.g. The Accelerate or the Reteach programmes).